This is a resource for Stetson University College of Law students enrolled in Advanced Legal Writing: Contract Drafting for the Fall 2019 semester.
This site provides links to online materials regarding contract drafting.
This course surveys documents of legal practice and the skills needed to write them. Students will engage in problem-solving via legal analysis and writing, receive hands-on drafting experiences, and gain greater sophistication and power as legal writers. This section will emphasize contract drafting.
- James W. Martin, Adjunct Professor of Law, Stetson University College of Law, and Practicing Lawyer
- Legal Drafting, Process, Techniques and Exercises, 3rd edition 2017 by Kuney & Looper, West Academic
- Class #1 Introduction to Drafting “The Contract That Stays Out of Court”
- Class #2 Chapters 1 and 2 Philosophy of Drafting and Contract Drafting
- Class #3 Chapters 3 and 4 Legislative Drafting and Rules of Interpretation
- Class #4 Chapters 5 and 6 Drafting Ethics and Drafting Overview
- Class #5 Chapters 7 and 8 Getting Started and Drafting Within the Law
- Class #6 Chapters 9 and 10 Determining Substance and Choosing Concept
- Class #7 Chapter 11 Organization
- Class #8 Chapter 12 Avoiding Ambiguities
- Class #9 Chapter 13 Drafting Style and Usage
- Class #10 Chapter 14 Definitions
- Class #11 Chapters 15 and 16 Terms and Typography and Layout
- Class #12 Chapter 17 Reviewing and Revising Drafted Documents
- Class #13 Review of Contract Drafting
- Communicate effectively in writing and orally: how to draft “the contract that stays out of court” by learning how to confidently and competently draft clear and unambiguous contracts.
- Demonstrate sophistication in legal analysis, reasoning, and problem-solving: how to analyze contract wording and revise it to meet the client’s expectations.
- Gather and interpret relevant facts and conduct legal research: how to sort through and assemble facts for use in contract provisions based on rights, duties and legal principles.
James W. Martin, Esq.
Law Office of James W. Martin, P.A.
540 4th Street North
St. Petersburg, Florida 33701
Phone (727) 821-0904
August 21, 2019